Whooping cough, known medically as Pertussis, is an extremely contagious disease caused by the bacterium ‘Bordetella pertussis. Whooping cough is called the 100 days’ cough in some countries. This disease usually affects children between 1 to 5 years.
Whooping cough Symptoms:
The initial signs and symptoms of this condition are quite similar to that of the common cold. Sneezing, a runny nose, Night cough, Sore throat, Tears while coughing, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Tiredness, low fever and a mild cough are some of the symptoms of this condition.
After about 1 to 2 weeks, the dry, irritating cough evolves into coughing spells. During a coughing spell, which can last for more than a minute, the child may turn red or purple. At the end of a spell, the child may make a characteristic whooping sound when breathing in or may vomit. Between spells, the child usually feels well.
Because of whooping sound it is called whooping cough.
Causes of Whooping Cough:
Bronco-pneumonia, Infection of middle ear, Micro-organisms like Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis, through tiny drops of fluid from an infected person’s nose or mouth.
The actual cause of the disease is unhealthy diet i.e. feeding the children with refined and demineralised foods and the absence of sufficient quantity of fresh fruits and salad vegetables in their diet. This results in accumulation of excessive quantities of catarrh and mucus in the child’s system.
Treatment of Whooping Cough Using Natural Home Ingredients:
Home Remedy of Whooping Cough Using Fenugreek seeds, Water, Ginger And Honey:
Prepare the syrup as follows:
1. Take 250 ml of water.
2. Add one tsp full of fenugreek (methi) seeds.
3. Boil the water till it reduces to half.
4. Strain the mixture.
5. Add one tsp full of ginger and one tsp full of honey.
6. Mix the solution properly.
Take this solution in four equal dozes throughout the day to get relief from whooping cough.
Treating Whooping Cough in Natural Way Using Garlic:
Garlic has allicin which has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic properties which helps to improve the immune system and calms cough and sore throats quickly.
Prepare medicine the as follows:
1. Crush few cloves of garlic and make a paste.
2. Place it on a sieve and extract the juice from it.
3. Give half teaspoon of juice three times a day.
Turmeric to get rid of Whooping Cough:
Turmeric has active compound, cur cumin, which improves cell health by “calming” cell activity so cellular processes such as infection fighting and material exchanges work better. It also contains proteins and minerals and is a good source of vitamin C and potassium. It has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-cancer properties, restoring cellular order and health, improve the immune system so that it can fight against infections like whooping cough.
You can use it while preparing food. It can be taken in milk also.
Home Remedy of Whooping Cough Using Radish, rock salt And Honey:
1. Take a teaspoon full of fresh radish.
2. Mix it with a teaspoon of honey and a little rock salt.
3. Mix the solution well and consume three times a day daily.
Almond Oil, Onion Juice and Ginger Juice to get rid of Whooping Cough:
Almonds are a rich source of oil, with values ranging between 36 to 60% of kernel dry mass. Almond oil is valuable in whooping cough.
Mix five drops of almond oil with ten drops each of fresh white onion juice and ginger juice, and taken thrice daily for a fortnight. It will provide relief.
Oregano Oil to get rid of Whooping Cough:
Oregano (Ajwaayen) is high in antioxidant activity, due to a high content of phenolic acids and flavonoids. Oregano is an antiseptic, which cures for stomach and respiratory ailments.
Oregano can be taken in the following three ways:
First way: Boil 2 quarts of water in a saucepan. Remove the pan from the stove and add three to six drops of pure oregano oil to the water. Allow the oil to mix with the hot water for one minute.
Lean over the saucepan and breathe in the vapor. Repeat this vapor treatment two or three times a day to help break up mucus and ease coughing. Alternatively, you can place a towel over your head and around the pan to increase the steaming effect.
Second way: Oregano can also be taken in another way. Make a chest rub by adding 15 drops of oregano oil to 1 oz. of a carrier oil like olive oil, jojoba oil or almond oil. Rub the mixture on your chest before going to bed. The vapors may help to ease coughing during the night.
Third way: Take oregano oil capsules to help boost the immune system. Dilute the essential oil in water as an alternative to oregano oil capsules. Add one or two drops of oil of oregano to 2 oz. of water. Drink the solution once or twice a day.
Home Remedy of Whooping Cough Using Tulsi:
Mix 5ml of tulsi leaves juice with 10ml of honey. You can give this juice 3 or 4 times a day to children. This is another way to cure whooping cough.
Orange juice to get rid of Whooping Cough:
Orange juice is also beneficial for whooping cough. Half cup of orange juice mixed with half cup of warm water. Consume orange juice daily.
Whooping cough diet to cure Whooping Cough:
Give some fresh orange juice and water for a few days to your child to reduce the whooping cough. Slowly you can add juicy fruits such as apples, pineapple, papaya with a cup of milk sweetened with honey. They can go for a regular diet after full recovery from whooping cough.
Natural Home Remedy of Whooping Cough Using Calamus:
Calamus is the herb which has antispasmodic property which prevents severe bouts of coughing. A pinch of the powder of the roasted herb should be given with a teaspoon of honey. For smaller children, the dose must be proportionately smaller.
Treatment Of Whooping Cough Using Honey and Cinnamon:
Plenty of water and 1000mg of vitamin C throughout the day helps to cure Whooping Cough. Take one teaspoon of honey and mix it with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Take this mixture three to four times a day, and everyday until it is gone.
Herbs to get rid of Whooping Cough:
Whooping cough symptoms are often eased with the use of supplements and herbal remedies. You can use any of the following herbs to get rid of whooping cough:
Drosera will provide relief for many cases of whooping cough if the following symptoms are present:
• There may be sharp pains in the chest, tickling in the throat episodes, and excessive sweating during the night.
• Whooping cough symptoms are worse in the evening and night and often begin the minute the person’s head touches the pillow on lying down.
• The patient has a loud, barking, frequent cough preventing him from catching his breath.
Grindelia will provide relief for many cases of whooping cough if the following symptoms are present:
• Breathing becomes much more difficult when lying and is made worse during coughing paroxysms. The patient is forced to sit up straight in order to catch his breath.
• Dry, spasmodic cough accompanied by wheezing.
• There is usually foamy, thick mucus which becomes stuck in the trachea and is difficult to expel.
Whooping cough symptoms are worse when the patient is overly excited or angry. This herb is helpful for both children and the elderly. Antimonium Tartaricum will provide relief for many cases of whooping cough if the following symptoms are present:
• Weakness and an inability to cough up mucus trapped in the chest.
• The tongue may be coated white. Warm drinks will aggravate the cough and there may be vomiting after midnight.
• Person becomes irritable, demanding and depressed.
Cuprum will provide relief for many cases of whooping cough if the following symptoms are present:
• Coughing is excessively violent and may threaten suffocation.
• The lips and face turn blue.
• A drink of cold water provides temporary relief.
• There may be rattling in the chest and the child may cough up tough, gelatinous mucous.
Ipecacuanha or Ipecac will provide relief for many cases of whooping cough if the following symptoms are present:
• The child will stiffen her body during an attack and be extremely nauseous, which is relieved by vomiting.
• The individual becomes pale and blue and breathless.
• The cough will be “gagging” in nature with much stringy, tenacious mucus discharge.
• Coughing is very violent and whooping episodes follow one after the next with no chance of recovering the breath. The individual is weak and limp from exhaustion.
It is effective in the early stages of whooping cough symptoms. Belladonna will provide relief for many cases of whooping cough if the following symptoms are present:
• The child may grasp her throat during an attack, appear fearful and cling to the parent.
• There may be a bloody nose brought on by coughing and possible fever.
• A strong indication for this remedy is when the coughing attacks end in sneezing.
• When the onset is sudden and accompanied by a severe headache.
Coccus Cacti herb will provide relief for many cases of whooping cough if the following symptoms are present:
• The coughing episodes are worse in the morning and almost non-existent at night; and made better by drinking cold water.
• Coughing is accompanied by vomiting of long strings of ropy mucus extending from both nose and mouth.
• Mucus causes choking.
Wild cherry bark tea is excellent. Here are other herbs useful for coughs; select from those you have on hand or can most easily obtain. They can be mixed: black cohosh, flaxseed, rosemary, comfrey, horehound, hyssop, myrrh, white pine, bloodroot, red sage, blue violet, ginseng and coltsfoot. Prepare a tea and give a teaspoonful every hour until the cough is better.
Other Tips to Cure Whooping Cough:
- Drink lots of warm water is also helpful to the patient.
- Give vitamins A and C in large doses.
- As soon as it is perceived that the problem is whooping cough, place him on a full fruit juice fast. First, give citrus juices. This can be followed by other fruit juices; then carrot and other vegetable juices, and clear vegetable broth soup. Later still, fruit can be added.
- It is good to soak the feet in hot water, with a little mustard and salt added to it.
- Steam inhalations are often very helpful. They can be given every 2-4 hours, according to the severity of the case.
- Thick slippery elm tea is very good in whooping cough; mix in a little lemon juice and drink it freely.
- If the weather is warm, sunny, and not too damp or dusty, keep him out of doors most of the day. But the person should not exert himself in play.
- Sodium Acrobats Powder (pure, filler free). You can get it in your health food store. 375 mg / per kg body weight or until they have one lose stool. Then cut it back but just a little bit. Put into some diluted juice and let the child sip it all day long.